Friday, October 22, 2010

Hollywood Cemetery

My computer has been broken for a while, but last weekend I went to Hollywood Cemetery too. Some of the things I found interesting were gravestones that had sort of transitioned into liminal space over time- the edges were grown over to many and it was impossible to tell how large the original markers were.

Also, a large monument erected in memory of Civil War soldiers was built using large stones but absolutely no mortar- the "chinking" technique we talked about using in class. That, to me, seemed like it fit right in to Earth Art- it has been there for hundreds of years and is impressively large.

I also found the rows of headmarkers in the older sections reminiscent of Richard Long's lines in various areas of the earth or Carl Andre's row of wooden blocks through a field.

The last thing I found there that seemed like a really unique kind of Earth Art (to my inexperienced eye) was a living tree carved by someone for a grave marker in place of a traditional stone. Over time, the tree has taken on an appearance of being cast in stone, but it was at one time a living, thriving plant. Because it is hard to tell which parts are "original tree" and which are "carved add-ins" I felt like it was an excellent example of liminal space. Where is the tree? Where is the carving? Where is the gravestone and where is the nature?




No comments:

Post a Comment